logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo

New Zealand is emerging as one of the favorite study destinations of the students for higher studies. We all know that New Zealand is a beautiful Country, but very few know that is also has an excellent education system. Ranking second on the Global Peace Index 2018*, New Zealand is undoubtedly one of the safest countries in the world.


Australian Flag



Land Area

268,021 km2

Capital City


Largest city


Official language(s)




New Zealand Dollar (NZD)

Date format


Drive on the


Calling Code


New Zealand Visas

Student visa process for New Zealand

Contact us or come into our office to discover your options regarding your study destination, courses availablity and recommended institutions.

Register with us to start the admission and visa process. We can help you navigate through the various processes and make studying overseas easier.

Once you have decided what, and where you want to study, we will help you complete the admission application. We keep in contact with the institution(s) on your behalf, and we will send you notifications as your application progresses.

At the time of application you will be required to submit several documents including:

  • proof of previous academic qualifications, and
  • proof of your English language ability in most cases.

We will provide you with a document checklist when it is time to apply for your visa (step 5).

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement for student visas

You will also need to complete the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement which is an integrity measure to ensure the student visa program is used as intended, not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.

When applying for a student visa, your intention needs to be to complete a course of study then return to use the skills you've learned in your home country.

To accept your offer from an education provider, you must pay the tuition fee. Most Australian institutions require you to pay the first semester fee only. You can choose to pay this fee through either Telegraphic Transfer (TT) or Direct Debit (DD). Our value added services department can help you arrange this.

Once the institution have received and processed your tuition fee payment, they will issue you with an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (ECoE). Once we have received this, we will notify you that it is now time to come back into your closest branch with your required documents and start the visa application process.

To lodge your visa application you will need to provide the documents outlined in the checklist we provided you in step 3.

Just like your admission application, we will keep you updated as to the progress of your application, keeping in contact with the visa office on your behalf.

Students need to undergo health examinations as part of the visa application process. The health assessment process can take several weeks to complete. To help avoid delays, you can choose to undertake your health examination before lodging your visa application. More information is available at My health declarations.

A list of the approved panel doctors can be found at homeaffairs.gov.au/about/contact/offices-locations/india

For more information about undertaking medicals, visit homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/500-

We will notify you as soon as we know the outcome of your visa application so you can come in and collect your grant letter. In most cases this is a positive response and it means you can also start planning your travel and accommodation!

Target Visa Consultants can help organise your travel arrangements so you can begin your new student life. Air ticketing, insurance and foreign exchange can all be arranged through us to make studying overseas easier!

Visitor visa for New Zealand

We can help you apply for a visitor visa. Parents or dependants wishing to visit a student studying in New Zealand should apply for a visitor visa.

New Zealand Work Rights

Work rights during studies in New Zealand

Being an international student, you would be eligible to work up to 20 hours per week. However, you can work full time during Christmas and New Year holidays at the end of each year provided the course is full time and more than 12 months long.

Work rights for your spouse in New Zealand

The spouse of an international student can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight throughout the year if the spouse has travelled to New Zealand on a dependant visa. If the student is studying at a Masters or PhD level, a spouse can work full-time once the student starts their main course of study.

Post-study work rights in New Zealand

Students are eligible to 3 Years post study work permit subject to fulfillment of certain conditions.



Bringing your dependants to New Zealand

The spouse and children of a student can accompany them to New Zealand if the student's course duration is 12 months or longer.

This can be applied for at the same time as the student applies for their visa, or it can be applied for later to join the student in New Zealand after they have commenced their course.

Students must declare all family members in their application, even if they do not plan to travel with them. If they do not declare all family members, they will not be eligible to apply for a dependant visa once the student has arrived in New Zealand.

Our study consultants can help you apply for a dependant visa for your spouse and children. Get in contact to find our how Oceanic Consultants can make studying overseas easier!

Start your studies in New Zealand today!

Register now and we'll take care of everything to make studying in New Zealand easier.